Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

This is about a girl name Nona who grows up with her grandmother in Italy. Her grandmother is a strega (someone who does magic and creates potions and lotions) and eventually Nona will become a strega. She learns from her grandmother and when her grandmother decides to retire Nona takes over the business and gets the secret to her grandmother's magic. She becomes Strega Nona.
I read this book when I was little and I loved it! I remember thinking how cool it would be to be able to have a magic pot that made pasta for you if you sang to it. I also remember that, although my grandmother didn't do magic, I loved spending time with her and learning from her. I really enjoy reading this book and no matter how many times I read it I love it every time. I think this is great for children because I think that when they start out writing they are really focused on telling about their lives and it's very factual and this book shows that you can write stories and they don't have to be completely true. You can have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment