Tuesday, September 8, 2009

There's An Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer

Mercer Mayer is one of my favorite children's authors and he doesn't disappoint in this book either! I read this book when I was younger but it was a lot of fun going back and reading it again now. The book, for those who haven't read it, is about a little boy who believes there is an alligator living under his bed. He is determined to get it out so that he can get some sleep so he makes a trail of food from his bed to the garage hoping the alligator will come out. Sure enough, it does! Then, he leaves a note for his dad letting him know that there is an alligator in the garage and that he should be careful when he goes to get his car in the morning.



I think this book is great for children. I loved it when I was younger and I think that students today would still enjoy it. It is a very fun and imaginative story and it could help get children using their imaginations to create stories of their own. I also love the illustrations, Mercer Mayer is one of my favorite illustrators as well and I think the illustrations are great in this book! Also, at the end the main character leaves a note for his father and in the illustration you can see pictures, "invented" spellings, and corrections in the note. From a teaching point of view I think this could help students with the writing process and help them understand that it doesn't have to be perfect and that it doesn't have to be writing at all. There are many things that can come from this book and I think it is great for teachers and students because it's just fun to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment